Zinc for Acne?
“Zinc changed my life” this was what one of my 15 years old patients told me after coming to see me in my Glasgow clinic. She told me that after her consultation, her and her mother cried because at long last they had found someone who listened and understood how she was feeling.
In this case when she took zinc, she felt calm and her brain was clear for the very first time in her young life. When she went to school the next day, the teachers commented how bright her eyes looked and how she looked very different. Zinc made her feel confident and relaxed.
This patient was zinc deficient. She was also iron deficient. It is important if you feel you should take zinc that you get a blood test first with your GP to ensure you are creating balance not causing an imbalance.
Zinc and Acne – some things you should know
- Zinc deficiency is extremely common especially amongst teenagers.
- Zinc deficiency can be hereditary.
- Zinc deficiency causes a cloudy brain a brain that daydreams and struggles to concentrate
- Zinc deficiency causes skin issues for many teenagers because they have insufficient zinc to make insulin to absorb sugar
- The more sugar that is eaten the more zinc the body requires
- Zinc deficiency when it causes blood sugar issues also causes mood swings and these can be extremely violent depending upon the diet
- Zinc deficiency causes low self esteem
Can you recognise any of these symptoms?
At my clinic I do not guess deficiencies instead I source scientific data with the use of hair analysis that allows me to identify and correct deficiencies quickly and accurately.
Deficiencies for the majority of my patients cannot be resolved via diet. This is because many acne patients cannot absorb nutrients from their food due to problems with stomach acid. By taking zinc in tablet form it is absorbed quickly into the bloodstream and if you are indeed zinc deficient you should feel the difference within 10 minutes.
If zinc is taken and you do not feel any different, you may not be zinc deficient. It is not good to guess deficiencies. Over the years I have had patients come to see me who have taken extremely large doses of zinc, others have been taking zinc with copper. If you do not understand the workings of the body, it is advisable to seek professional help with a practitioner who understands how to identify and address mineral and vitamin deficiencies.
Zinc for Acne – Some facts
- Zinc does not cure all acne
- In some cases even if the patient is deficient they are unable to take zinc because of stomach issues and in these cases zinc will cause acne.
- Zinc does not cure cystic acne
- If zinc is required it should be taken for a limited period of time – this should not be guessed
At my clinic I work with science-based medical facts that allow me to identify and address mineral and vitamin deficiencies.